In my inbox was an email from a league administrator reminding all youth football fans, a collective group of which I am part, of the following "sportsmanship reminders":
1) Be thoughtful of others.
2) Be careful what you say...you never know who’s around you.
3) Referees are human...they make mistakes at ALL levels of football.
4) Social Media is not a sounding board for your frustrations.
5) We are in this together...do your part to make sure we succeed.
6) Winning is important, but it's far from the most important.
I appreciate that this piece of communication went out. I would like to believe that reading it caused a few parents or other supporters of youth athletes to look at themselves a little harder in the mirror and question their own behavior.
Or, if they are able to personally keep their cool, maybe it convinced some to not remain silent on the sidelines if they are seated within close proximity to a mom or dad whose blood pressure is boiling over because of what they're witnessing on the field.